Monday, June 11, 2007

Italia, prologue

Mike and I returned from our 10 day trip yesterday. The return flight is so different from the flight over. Less stress, less excitement, more contentment - the warm glow following a grand accomplishment. And of course the tiredness that comes only after you stop running. Our plane took off late, around 1:45pm. We landed ahead of schedule at 3:45pm. Thus in two hours elapsed time, I practically finished A Room with a View (though admittedly it is a short book, which I plan to re-read immediately, it was so good). We also remarked that this was the only time Mike's birthday has lasted more than 24 hours.

Even though my bed feels softer and more inviting than before I left, I was up at 4. Earlier even, but that is about when my attempts to sleep just a little more ceased to work.

In brief, we flew into Rome, straight away found our way to the Termini train station to take a train to Chiusi, where my sister and boyfriend picked us up for the curvy, scenic drive to Montepulciano. We slept there 7 nights, walking up and down the main Corso repeatedly and taking side trips to nearby towns, such as Montalcino, Siena, and Pienza. Mike and I also visited Florence one day. On Saturday we took the train back to Rome, and spent the afternoon covering as much of that city (and the Vatican) as possible.

It was a whirlwind. A beautiful whirlwind. Pictures and more detail to come.

1 comment:

Geoffrey said...

I'm so jealous. I want to go to Italy now. Glad you had a great time and welcome back to the boring USA.