Monday, June 25, 2007

energy boosts

I've been taking a look at this blog lately, Ririan Project. It is full of lists, and I love lists. Top 5 tips for increasing happiness. 19 ways to battle stress at work. 23 activities to boost your brain power. Things like this. A recent post provided 27 ways to give yourself an energy boost. Here's my favorite, number 13:

"Get some laughter... putting on a happy face is actually good for you, and those around you. If you really need to cheer up and increase your energy, then watch a sitcom for half an hour, or better yet, get tickets to your favorite comedy club. Laughter has been proven time and again to be the best therapy for depression and lack of energy."

Though I like the sentiment, personally I've never found that watching TV increases my energy level, no matter how funny the show. Maybe that's because by the time I am giggling at absurd situations in Seinfeld or at Jon Stewart's clever take on the current news headlines, I'm stretched out on my couch and ready to spend the next few hours in one position. On the other hand, watching TV at the gym keeps me on the elliptical machine an average of 10 minutes longer than I would otherwise expect. A body at rest.... a body in motion....

No comments: