Monday, March 12, 2007

something funny I saw today

I walk past a church on my way to and from the train station every day. (Also, a funeral home and a fire station - a good day equals one when neither are busy.) One corner of the building at some point during this week was wrapped in fire retardant material, presumably in preparation for some renovations being done on the church. Today I saw a plain piece of white printer paper on the sidewalk in front of the church that read "PREPARE TO BURN", most likely written with a typical Bic ballpoint pen in nearly perfect capital letters.

So, who wrote the sign?

A member of the construction crew, who needed to inform the rest of the crew what area of the building to wrap in fire retardant material?
An arsonist who targets churches and announces his intent (also signaling the crew to provide flame retardant wrapping)?
An evangelical that believes we are all going to burn in hell, but who also wants us to have sufficient warning so that we can be ready for it?

1 comment:

Geoffrey said...

I'd say it was me, but you said that the sign was written in nearly perfect capital letters....My hadnwritting is anything but perfect....perfectly BAD maybe. It reminds me of the Simpson's episode where they believe Bart is handing in fake notes written by Homer.